The living room or den is where you seek to unwind and relax. It can also be the location for a gathering if you’re entertaining guests. Flooring for these rooms needs to be versatile, durable and attractive.
This Home Flooring Pros guide lists the most popular living room and den flooring options you’ll want to consider for your remodeling project.
- Carpeting – It’s warm beneath your feet and wonderful if you enjoy stretching out on the floor. Kids love it for playing on too, but you may want to consider a Green Label low-VOC carpet for kids. Carpet also absorbs noise and is a great choice if you use the space for home theater.
- Hardwood Flooring – Solid hardwood flooring and engineered hardwood flooring are ideal for living rooms and dens. They come is a wide variety of wood species and styles, from very traditional to country to transitional to contemporary. You’ll find several great options for your home remodeling plans.
- Natural Stone Flooring – Especially nice for a small den with an upscale feel to it, add a few leather chairs, Persian rugs and a well-stocked humidor, and your den is perfect. Stone, along with tile, offer you the most durable floor options for a living room or den that gets a lot of traffic.
- Vinyl Flooring – While not as elegant or cozy as the above choices, it is practical, easy to clean and very affordable. Vinyl or linoleum flooring is a very good choice for those with allergies or asthma because allergens are easily removed.
What have you installed in your living room or den? Use our comments section to let us know what you chose and how it worked for you. Or, you can take a moment to contact us. Feedback from you will help other readers choose a kitchen flooring option they can be happy with for years to come.
Other Places To Find Living Room or Den Flooring Ideas and Projects
- Youtube – Video tutorial on Engineered Hardwood Flooring Installation over Concrete.
- RenoCompare – Get decorating ideas for the living room.
- Freshome – Find out what the top kitchen design trends for 2013.
About the Author:
Jamie Sandford is the Owner and Chief Editor of Home Flooring Pros (find out more). After 10 years’ experience in screen and stage set construction followed by a further 15 years working in the home renovation/remodeling business he now writes and curates online home improvement advice.
“Buying and installing home flooring should be a fairly straightforward process, but often it isn’t. After more than 15 years’ experience in home flooring and remodeling, I started Home Flooring Pros in 2013 to help homeowners navigate the often-overcomplicated process of choosing, buying and installing a home floor. The aim is to save you time and money by helping you to make better floor buying decisions.”