Hardwood flooring remains super-popular and for good reason, aside from the natural beauty and durability, hardwood flooring is still somewhat easy for a DIY’er to install if they are willing to learn a few carpentry skills and not afraid to get their hands dirty!
Here’s a look at the 5 reasons why hardwood flooring is still one of the best choices for most homes.
1. Hardwood Flooring Goes Anywhere
This is a versatile flooring. Solid hardwood is a good choice for main living areas, kitchens, dens and offices. Engineered wood flooring can be used in bathrooms and basements because it is more water-resistant.
2. Hardwood Floors Wear Well
Hardwood flooring handles heavy foot traffic, children and toys, and even dogs if they’re not too heavy. With a quality sealer and protective coat, along with normal maintenance and cleaning, hardwood floors will look great for many years. A seriously durable flooring option.
For harder wearing hardwood floors be sure to apply a strong finish – read our Bona Traffic and Bona Traffic HD review.
3. Hardwood Floors are Easy to Care For
Sweeping and mopping with a damp mop are all you need for general wood floor cleaning and maintenance. Spot cleaning can be done with gentle cleaners made for hardwood flooring. You can even vacuum hardwood floors, but choose a vacuum without a beater bar or one with a hard floor mode that doesn’t engage the bar.
4. Hardwood Floors can be Refinished
Solid hardwood floors can be refinished 5-7 times before they need to be replaced. Therefore, their lifespan can extend to 100 years or more. Even many engineered wood floors can be refinished at least once. If you compare the total cost of hardwood flooring over 50 years with other types that need to be replaced every 3-10 years, the cost is quite competitive.
5. Hardwood Floors Don’t Harbor Allergens
Carpet flooring options can be tough on those with allergies or asthma. It traps dust, dander and other allergens that can make breathing difficult. Hardwood floors are easy to clean, and allergens can be removed quickly with a slightly damp mop.
Hardwood floors bring quality, warmth and elegance to any home. These 5 reasons for using hardwood floors in your home should help you decide if they are the right choice for you.
Places Where You Can Learn More About Hardwood Floor Choices
- TLC Home – The ultimate guide to hardwood flooring that outlines wood varieties, finishes and the different types you have to choose from.
- Houzz.com – Great website where you can browse all types of and styles of flooring, design a room and create an idea book for your next remodeling project.
- Wood Floors Online – Detailed information about cuts and grades of wood used in flooring as well as the current styles and trends available today.
Did you choose hardwood flooring for your last home improvement project? If so, share your experience with our readers!